Heritage & Landscape
The 2016 consultation feedback has been assessed and summarised in a design review summary document (right).
Below are the revised drawings and new views (July 2016) that resulted from the April consultation.
Restoring original features, enhancing their setting and ensuring Poole Park retains its original Victorian characteristics whilst improving the quality of the landscaping.
In trying to recapture the original Victorian design style that makes Poole Park so special we are concentrating on the following spaces for specific improvement:
- The War memorials. On both sides of the road, the setting of the memorials shall be enhanced with better quality paving materials, improved access for all users and with information presented on the history and relevance of the spaces.
- Rose gardens and putting green. These two spaces will both be improved, with new planting and an emphasis on community use and increased sensory planting
- The landscaping of the freshwater ponds will be improved to re-create original views, a new planting scheme and better surfacing and access to the water’s edge.
- A tree planting plan for the whole park that will see a net gain of trees across all of the improvements, to ensure the avenue is retained, clumps of planting on lake promontories and elsewhere and to make sure future planting is appropriate.
- The main entrances shall all be improved and are explained in the traffic theme.
In addition, other landscaping improvements will be made, such as replacing metal railings around grass areas, replacing concrete or wooden bollards and reducing areas with poor surfacing or landscaping.